(fl 1429; d 1463). Austrian painter and ?wood-carver of south German origin. Long considered one of the most significant practitioners of the realistic style pioneered by Hans Multscher, he was the wealthiest and most respected artist in Vienna in his day. His first recorded house was next to the Hofburg, and in 1444 and 1445 he received payments from Albert VI of Styria (reg 1424–63), perhaps as court artist. The lost altarpiece in the Michaelerkirche, finished in 1449, may have been a ducal commission. He was also responsible for the high altar retable of Freising Cathedral, consecrated in 1443 by Bishop Nicodemus della Scala (shrine figures in Munich, Bayer. Nmus., and Stuttgart, Württemberg. Landesmus.).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.