(fl c. 1470–1510). Painter and sculptor, active in Austria. He takes his name from the high altarpiece of the pilgrimage church of Kefermarkt (Upper Austria), for which Christoph von Zelking, one of Emperor Frederick III's retainers, provided an annual payment in his will of 1490 (see Austria, fig. 2). From the text of the will and a confirmation of the payment of the balance, which has not survived, it can be presumed that the altarpiece was begun before 1490 and completed in 1497. Its paintwork was almost entirely removed in 1852–5 during the restoration organized by Adalbert Stifter (1805–68).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.