(1776–1875). English architect. A pupil of Thomas Leverton and (probably) John Nash, he had a successful and varied practice. His Sessions-House and House of Correction, Spilsby, Lincs. (1824–6), is a handsome essay in the Greek Revival, but he was equally at home with Tudor Gothic, as at the Carr's Hospital, Sleaford, Lincs. (1830–46), and his winning (but unrealized) designs for Kensal Green Cemetery, London (1832). With his son, Henry Edward Kendall (1805–85— also a successful architect), he laid out the Esplanade and Tunnel, Kemp Town, Brighton, Sussex (1828–30). Among Kendall junior's works were Shuckburgh Hall, Warwicks. (1844), the Tudor Gothic ‘Pope's Villa’, Crossdeep, Twickenham, Mddx. (c. 1845), the round-arched church of St John, Harrow Road, Kensal Green (1844—described by Pevsner as ‘atrocious’), and the splendid Egyptian Revival mausoleum of the 2nd Earl of Kilmorey (1787–1880) and his mistress, at Gordon House, Isleworth, Mddx., originally built in Brompton Cemetery, London, in 1854, then in 1862 moved to Woburn Park, Chertsey, and finally brought to Isleworth in 1870.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.