(Cambridge). Eton and King's College, Cambridge, were founded by Henry VI to celebrate his majority (aged 15) in 1437, before his reign had disintegrated into defeat in France and civil war at home. King's began in 1441 as the College of St Nicholas and the name was changed in 1443. Henry laid the foundation stone of the chapel on 25 July 1446. The chapel was not completed until 1515 and for many years afterwards totally dominated the site, since Gibbs's building, which helps to balance it, was not started until 1723 and the King's Parade neo‐Gothic façade by Wilkins was only begun in 1824. The fan‐vaulting (the most striking feature of the interior), the stained glass, and the screen all date from the reign of Henry VIII.
Subjects: British History.