Overview

King George's War


'King George's War' can also refer to...

King George's War

King George's War

King George’s War (1744–48)

King George's War (1744–48)

KING, George Kemp (1880 - 1920), Acting Principal, Territorial and Volunteer Forces Directorate, War Office, since 1917; Assistant Principal, Territorial Directorate, 1913–17

PALMER, Claude Bowes (1868 - 1949), DL, JP County Durham; Commanded Northumberland RAMC (V); Hon. Lieut-Col in the Army; formerly County Director of Northumberland and Durham Voluntary Aid Detachments; late Commissioner St John Ambulance Brigade; Knight of Justice Order of St John of Jerusalem; King George Coronation Medal; European War-Victory and British War Medals

PEACOCK, Edward Robert (1871 - 1962), a Director of the Canadian Pacific Railway Company and Harris and Partners, Toronto; formerly a Director of Baring Brothers & Co.; retired from Bank of England, 1946, after serving for 20 years as a Director; a Lieutenant of the City of London; a Rhodes Trustee; Chairman of Trustees, Imperial War Graves Commission; Chairman, Board of Management, Royal Commission for the Exhibition of 1851; a Trustee, King George’s Jubilee Trust

WARR, Charles Laing (1892 - 1969), Dean of the Chapel Royal in Scotland and Dean of the Order of the Thistle since 1926; Chaplain to the Queen since 1952 (to King George V, 1926–36, to King Edward VIII, 1936, to King George VI, 1936–52); Chaplain to HM Bodyguard for Scotland (Royal Company of Archers) since 1937; Sub-Prelate of Order of St John of Jerusalem since 1947 (Chaplain since 1942); Hon. Member of Merchant Company of Edinburgh, 1951; Chaplain: Royal Scottish Academy; Convention of Royal Burghs of Scotland; Royal Highland and Agricultura. Soc.; Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh; Merchant Company of Edinburgh; Pres., Eglise Protestante Française d’Edinburgh; Mercahnt Company of Edinbourg; Hon. President Scottish Association of Boys’ Clubs; Vice-President Scot. Nat. Inst. for War Blinded, Roy. Scot. Soc. for Prevention of Cruelty to Children, Scottish Church Soc., and Trin. Coll. of Music London; Vice-Patron, ATS and WRAC Benevolent Funds; Hon. Governor Glasgow Academy

THOMSON, (Francis) Vernon (1881 - 1953), of Dodd, Thomson & Co., Ltd, Chairman of the King Line, Ltd, London; Chm. and Managing Director of Union-Castle Mail SS Co., Ltd; Chairman of Bullard, King & Co., Ltd; Chm. of London and Thames Haven Oil Wharves, Ltd; Principal Shipping Adviser and Controller of Commercial Shipping, Ministry of Shipping, subsequently Ministry of War Transport, 1939–46; Chm. of Tramp Shipping Subsidy Committee, 1935, 1936 and 1937; Chairman of Tramp Shipping Administrative Committee, 1935–37; President of the Chamber of Shipping of the United Kingdom, 1936–37; (Hon.) Assistant Director of Ship Management Branch, Ministry of Shipping, 1918–21; and Vice-Chairman of Ship Licensing Committee, 1919–20; Chairman of London General Shipowners’ Society, 1928–29; Chairman of Baltic Mercantile and Shipping Exchange, 1931–33; Chairman of Documentary Committee of the Chamber of Shipping of the United Kingdom, 1923–35; Member of the Committee of Lloyd’s Register of Shipping since 1927; Member of Council of King George’s Fund for Sailors since 1938; Hon. Life-Governor of Royal National Lifeboat Institution, 1938; Hon. Treasurer, Royal Alfred Merchant Seamen’s Society; Mem. of Cttee of Management of HMS Worcester

VINTRAS, George Charles Louis Bartlett (1864 - 1934), Knight of the Légion d’Honneur; Knight-officer of the Lion and Sun of Persia; Knight Grand Cross of St John in Spain, Medal of Villaviciosa (Gold), and Cross of St John of Lateran; Medal of King Albert, Belgium; Director of the French Convalescent Home, Brighton, 1907–28; Consulting Physician French Hospital and Dispensary; Medical Officer to the John Howard Convalescent Home, Brighton; Member of the General Council of the Royal British Nurses’ Association; Commandant and Medical Officer in charge of the French Convalescent Home Auxiliary Military Hospital throughout the War

BADGEROW, George W. (1872 - 1937), formerly Dean and Surgeon, Hospital for Diseases of Throat and Ear, Golden Square, W.; Officer of the Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem in London; Aural Surgeon Royal Normal College and Academy of Music for the Blind; Consulting Surgeon for Diseases of the Throat, Nose, and Ear to the Reedham Orphanage, Purley, and Hon. Laryngologist and Aurist, Warehouse Clerks’ and Drapers’ Schools, Russell Hill, Purley; Member Education Committee (LCC) of the King’s Residential Open Air School for London Children, Bushey Park; Hon. Lt-Col (CAMC) (despatches); Consulting Surgeon Throat, Nose, and Ear to the Duchess of Connaught’s Red Cross Hospital, Cliveden, Taplow, Bucks, and the Milton Hill Sectional Hospital, Steventon, Berks; the Ontario Military Hospital, Orpington; the King’s Canadian Hospital, Bushey, and the Officers’ Hospital (Daughters of the Empire); Consulting Surgeon in Throat, Nose, and Ear to the Livingstone Hospital, Dartford; Member of the Imperial War Graves Commission

GRANT, James Dundas- (1854 - 1944), retired; Hon. Consultant in Aural Diseases to Ministry of Pensions; Consulting Surgeon (Throat and Ear), to Brompton Hospital for Consumption), Central London Nose, Throat, and Ear Hospital, The Cancer Hospital, West End Hospital for Diseases of the Nervous System, The Royal Freemasons Hospital, and The Sussex (Brighton) Throat and Ear Hospital; late Teacher of Laryngology and Otology, University of London; Vice-President, Royal Institution; Hon. Surgeon Royal Academy of Music; Hon. Admiral Surgeon to Royal Society of Musicians, Scottish Hospital and Caledonian Asylum; Surg.-Maj. (retired) 24th Middlesex (Post Office) Rifle Volunteers; Principal Medical Officer 6th Brigade, London Division National Reserve; Hon. member of American and Foreign Special Societies; late Aurist and Laryngologist, King George Military Hospital, Lord Knutsford’s Hospitals for Officers, New Zealand Military Hospital, Walton-on-Thames, Endsleigh Palace, and Russian Hospitals for Officers, etc., during European War, 1914–18

EDINGTON, George Henry (1870 - 1943), Hon. Consulting Surgeon, late Visiting Surgeon, Western Infirmary, Glasgow, and Lecturer Clinical Surgery, University of Glasgow; Examiner in Surgery, University of Glasgow; Member of the King’s Bodyguard for Scotland (The Royal Company of Archers); Member, Glasgow University Court since 1939; Member of Council of Scottish National Blood Transfusion Association, 1940; Member, Scottish Civil Nursing Reserve Advisory Council, 1940–43; President Royal Philosophical Society, Glasgow, 1940–43; President Glasgow Medico-Chirurgical Society, 1936–38; President Royal Faculty of Physicians and Surgeons, 1927–29 and Representative to General Medical Council, 1928–40; Medical Referee, Sheriffdom of Lanark; member of Council and of Executive British Red Cross Society, Scottish Branch, and was Chairman of Executive, 1930–42; Chairman, War Pensions Committee, Glasgow, since 1933; late Hon. Colonel RAMC Units Lowland Division

Birdwood, William Riddell (1865 - 1951), President, Clifton College, 1935; Captain Deal Castle, 1935; Hon. Fellow Peterhouse, Cambridge, 1920; Knight of Grace, Order of St John of Jerusalem; Fellow of the Royal Empire Society and of Royal Society of St George; Freeman of the Borough of Totnes, Devon; Vice-Pres. of the Overseas League and Devonian Association; Trustee unpaid, War Museum; General, Commonwealth of Australia Military Forces, 1920, and Field-Marshal, 1925; Colonel Royal Horse Guards, 1933; 12th Lancers, 1920; 75th A. A. Regiment, RA, 1938. King Edward’s Own Probyns’ Horse (XI Bengal Lancers), 1924, and 6th Gurkha Rifles, 1925; Col Commandant, 13th Frontier Force Rifles, 1930; Colonel-in-Chief, 1st New Zealand Mounted Rifles, Canterbury Yeomanry Cavalry, 1925; Colonel 3rd Australian Infantry and 16th Australian Light Horse, Hunter River Lancers, 1930

EVANS, E. Vincent (died 1934), RHistS; Member of Council, Editor of Transactions, and Secretary to the Honourable Society of Cymmrodorion and the Cymmrodorion Record Series Fund; and Secretary and Editor of the publications of the National Eisteddfod Association (from 1881); Hon. Secretary of the Welsh National Presentation to King George V and Queen Mary, 1893; Governor of the University of Wales; Member of Council and Governor University College of North Wales, Bangor; Member of Council and Governor University College of Wales, Aberystwyth; Member of Council and Governor of the National Museum; Governor and Member of Council of the National Library, Wales; Member of the Board of Celtic Studies, and Chairman of the Archæological Sub Committee; Chairman and Hon. Treasurer of the London Welsh Charitable Aid Society; Chairman of the Executive Committee of the London Welsh Battalions, 1914–18; Hon. Treasurer of National Fund for Welsh Troops, 1915–19; Joint Honorary Treasurer of the Welsh National Fund, 1918; Trustee of the Welsh Troops’ Children’s Fund, 1918–30; Trustee of the National War Museum; Chairman and Treasurer of the London Welsh Belgian Refugees Fund, 1914–15; PM and Treasurer London Welsh Lodge of Freemasons; first WM Gwynedd Lodge; PZ London Welsh Chapter; PGD; and PGAS; Vice-President and Member of Executive Committee of the Cambrian Archæological Association, President 1918; Member of the Council of the Royal Drawing Society; Member of the Executive Committee and Treasurer of the Welsh Folk-Song Society; Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Welsh Bibliographical Society; Chairman of the Royal Commission on Ancient Monuments in Wales and Monmouthshire, and Member of the Royal Commission on Public Records; Chairman of the Advisory Board on Ancient Monuments (Wales); JP Merioneth; High Sheriff, 1919–20

 

More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Warfare and Defence

GO

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1744–48)

North American component of the War of the Austrian Succession, which saw the capture of Louisburg on Cape Breton Island by a combined British Navy–New England force under William Pepperell in 1745. A subsequent campaign against the St Lawrence valley was abandoned. The fortress was returned to France in exchange for Madras in 1748.

Subjects: Warfare and Defence.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.