Built in the Haymarket, 1704–5, as London's principal ballet and opera theatre. When it burned down in 1789 a new theatre was built on the same site in 1793. Under the direction of Lumley it presented many of the great Romantic ballerinas. In 1837 its name changed to Her Majesty's Theatre. It features as the background in de Valois's ballet The Prospect Before Us.