(1895–1977). Born in Port Hope, Ontario, he was educated at Queen's University, the Toronto Conservatory of Music, and Oxford University. From 1922 to 1940 he taught English, and later classics, at Wesley College, Winnipeg. From 1940 to 1948 he was head of the English department at McMaster University, and from 1948, until his retirement in 1964, he was president of Acadia University. In 1966 he came out of retirement for two years as head of Acadia's English department. A founding member of the Canadian Authors' Association, he served two terms as national president (1942–4, 1956–8), and was appointed honorary president in 1968. During the Second World War he chaired the Writers' War Committee and was active in the creation of the Humanities Research Council, which led to the writing, with A.S.P. Woodhouse, of The humanities in Canada (1947). He was elected to the Royal Society of Canada in 1936. In addition to numerous European literary awards, he received the Lorne Pierce Medal in 1942.
From The Oxford Companion to Canadian Literature in Oxford Reference.