German architect. As Inspector General of Works in Saxony, he restored buildings that had been damaged during the Thirty Years War, including the Schloss at Zwickau. He designed the chapel (1661–72) at Moritzburg, but his main output was between 1664 and 1678: it included the Kommödienhaus (1664–7—destroyed), the Ballhaus (from 1668), the Reithaus (1667–78), and alterations to the Schloss (1674–8), all in Dresden. He rebuilt (from 1685) that part of Dresden north of the Elbe (now Neustadt) and made a major contribution to Baroque architecture in Saxony.
Dresdner Geschichtsblätter, xxii (1913), 35–56;Jane Turner (1996)