(fl 1478–1500). Austrian wood-carver. Probably from Gais, he was first recorded in Brixen (now Bressanone, Italy) in 1478 and can perhaps be identified with the Master Hans Maler who is mentioned many times in the cathedral records between 1477 and 1498. Rather than a panel painter, he is likely to have been a surveyor and head of a workshop producing complete altarpieces, including both sculpture and painting. In 1478–9 he employed four assistants and was one of the leading employers in Brixen. He also produced works for Bozen (now Bolzano, Italy) and its region. He was Mayor of Brixen in 1497/8; his last documented work (the retable of the former Franciscan church in Bolzano) dates from 1500.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.