Swiss-born architect, not to be confused with Alexander Koch of Darmstadt. He received his early training in Zürich before going to Vienna, where he worked under Semper on the projects for the Ringstrasse. After further studies (1870–1) in Berlin, he set up his office in Zürich as Koch & Ernst (with Heinrich Ernst), designing numerous buildings, including a chil-dren's hospital and several mansions on the Alpenquai. He settled in London in 1885, and, as a Visitor, studied English methods of training and design at South Kensington. From 1889 he edited and published Academy Architecture and Architectural Review, an invaluable record. He also brought out British Competitions in Architecture from 1905, while himself submitting designs for architectural competitions, notably the Palace of Peace at The Hague (1905). His sons changed their names to Martin-Kaye during the 1914–18 war: Hugh Martin-Kaye (1878–1954) founded Architecture Illustrated, and continued publishing Academy Architecture until 1931.
Builder, clxxxvii (3 Dec. 1954), 909;A. S. Gray (1985);A. Koch (ed.) (1907, 1908, 1931);Saur (from 1991)