Early Neolithic LBK village dating to the period c.4300–4100 bc on the middle terrace of the River Rhine on the outskirts of Cologne. The excavations between 1929 and 1934 by W. Buttler were a pioneer attempt to apply open area excavation to a settlement site. At the time the site was interpreted as having a series of timber barns and pit‐houses; these can now be reinterpreted as timber long houses and borrow pits, and it is also now clear that for much of its life the village lay within a series of enclosures. Seven main periods can be recognized in the occupation of the site, each with an average of 21 houses at any one time. Buttler believed that these phases represent periodic revising of the area as part of a slash and burn agricultural system, but this is no longer accepted.
W. Buttler and G. Haberey, 1936, Die bandkeramische Ansiedlung bei Köln Lindenthal. Leipzig