[Ger. Kaschau; Hung. Kassa].
City in eastern Slovakia (and so part of Hungary), situated on the River Hornád at the crossroads of trade routes from the Balkans to north Europe. Košice is first documented in 1230; the core of the town was a Slovak settlement, colonized by Germans after 1241 and granted community privileges in 1249 by King Bela IV (reg 1235–70); in 1290 Košice became an episcopal see.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.