(d ?Lund, after 1640, before 14 Feb 1642). Danish sculptor and carver. He was the most prominent maker of church carvings in Skåne (now in Sweden) during the reign of Christian IV, King of Denmark and Norway (reg 1588–1648). In 1603, when buying 500 engravings, he was described as being ‘from Lund’. He moved to Lund presumably in the mid-1590s and stayed there for the rest of his life. The engravings that he purchased served as models for his sculptures, relief-cycles and ornamentation. In his youth he probably worked for the Köpinge Master (fl c. 1598–c. 1610). The earliest information about Kremberg dates from 1601, when it was mentioned that ‘Joachim Kringbergz’ had built an organ for Lund Cathedral. The most important achievements of his youthful period up to 1609 are the pulpits in the churches at Höör and Löderup. The pulpit (1612), altarpiece (1612) and font (1621) from Gårdstånga church are the only documented extant works; together with the chapel screen (c. 1622) from Gårdstånga, these carvings are Kremberg's principal works. He developed a personal expressive style in the Renaissance idiom and was influenced by the Mannerist reliefs of Johannes Ganssog's pulpit (1592) in Lund Cathedral and by the elegant court art of Statius Otto. He cooperated with Otto on the altarpiece for St Peter's, Malmö, in 1610–11, and finished the pulpit (begun by Otto) in Holmby church. From c. 1630 his art declined in quality as much of the work was handed over to his workshop.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.