German architect and theorist. He studied under Longuelune and Bodt, and in 1764 he was appointed Professor at the Academy of Arts, and in 1776 Oberhofbaumeister (Chief Court Architect) in Dresden. In his book, Betrachtungen über den wahren Geschmack der Alten in der Baukunst (Considerations on the Taste of the Ancients in Architecture—1747), he proposed (drawing on French sources) that the proportions of the human body should be the basis of architectural invention, and in another book of 1759 that the Baroque style should be replaced by something more pure. In spite of this his own designs in and around Dresden were largely Baroque in flavour, but nearly all his work has been destroyed or damaged, although the Landhaus (Chamber of Deputies), Dresden (1770–6), has been partly restored and contains a fine Rococo staircase. He also carried out works at the Schlösser of Neschwitz and Otterwisch in the 1760s, little of which has survived. He published the interesting studies of Pliny the Younger's villas in Warscheinlicher Entwurf von des jüngern Plinius Landhause und Gartens Laurens gennant (Probable Designs of Pliny the Younger's Villa and Garden at Laurentum—1760) and a further (1763) volume on the Tuscan villa. Krubsacius was also an important figure in landscape design.
Gottsched (1760);Krubsacius (1760, 1768);Lüttichau (1983);Ruffinière du Prey (1994);Jane Turner (1996);Watkin & Mellinghoff (1987)