Two architects bearing this name were active in Germany and Austria in the late 14th century and the 15th.
(1) Hans der Krumenauer (fl 1395–6; d ?Passau, before 1434). He was possibly from Český Krumlov (Ger. Krumau). His career is enigmatic, owing to the disappearance of most of his documented work. Around 1395/6 he was working on the choir of St Martin, Landshut. Before 1402 he was in the service of Abbot Altmann of Niederalteich; he possibly designed the abbey's church of Frauenau (nr Regen, Lower Bavaria; begun 1396; rebuilt 1759–67). He resigned from this project in 1410 (all that remains are fragments of a pilaster). In 1405 he is mentioned as Master of the Works at Passau Cathedral, and it was at that time that the Bishop of Liège, Duke John III of Bavaria, enfeoffed him with a quarry above Abbach near Regensburg. In 1407 the foundation stone of the cathedral choir (partly rebuilt 17th century) was laid; a sketch (Vienna, Akad. Bild. Kst., 16816) is possibly a copy of one of Krumenauer's designs. The three-bay rectangular Erasmuskapelle, the chancel of the Herrenkapelle in the cathedral cloister, was completed in 1414 (rebuilt 17th century; rest. 1963), with a rhomboid star vault. The choir of the cathedral itself was completed only under Krumenauer's successors.(2) Stefan [Stephan] [der] Krumenauer (fl 1429; d Braunau am Inn, 5 June 1461). He was probably the son of (1) Hans der Krumenauer (although he used a different coat of arms). In 1429 he was working at the Stephansdom in Vienna, and the rebuilding of St Andreas, Kitzbühel, begun in 1435, is attributed to him; his widow was still calling in outstanding debts there in 1461. The authorship of the design of the town parish church of St Stephan in Braunau, a stepped hall church with side chapels and a secluded choir begun in 1439, is in doubt, although on his gravestone in the nave Krumenauer is described as the Master of the Works. The hall choir of St Jakob, Wasserburg am Inn, constructed between 1445 and 1452 with a central nave and aisle chapels of almost equal height and a curvilinear vault made of plaster, displayed totally different structural forms. The west section, begun in 1454 and featuring a tower, was continued by Wolfgang Wiser; the rebuilding of the nave was stopped.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.