Gothic castle in Bohemia, c. 60 km west of Prague. It was a favourite country seat of the kings of Bohemia. Founded on the site of a fortress dating from c. 1110, it was built in the 13th century by Ottokar II Přemysl (reg 1253–78). About 1400 it was extended by Wenceslas IV (reg 1378–1419) and was burnt down in 1422. Between 1493 and 1522 it was totally rebuilt by Vladislav II Jagiellon (reg 1471–1516; see Jagiellon, (1)) and his son Louis (reg 1516–26). The castle later passed into the hands of the nobility and deteriorated. Between 1882 and 1938 it was restored.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.