German family of architects. Hans Kun (fl 1417–35) and his son Kaspar (fl 1429–46) were successive master masons of Ulm Minster (see Ulm). Hans Kun is first mentioned in 1417, when he was described as ‘church master’ in the Hüttenbücher, the building records of Ulm Minster. This title was also accorded to his father-in-law, Ulrich von Ensingen, who was in charge of the works there until his death in 1419, so Hans must already have held an important position. In a receipt dated 1423 for payment for the building of a stone ridge turret on the Predigerkirche in Basle, he is uniquely described as magister Johannes dictus Cun, and entitled magister operis et fabricae ecclesiae parochialis de Ulma. He had possibly acted as consultant in Basle since 1421. In September 1434 Hans Kun received his last payment as Master of the Works at Ulm Minster. During his time in office there he oversaw the building of the west tower, designed by Ulrich von Ensingen (1360s–1419), putting in the large vault between the open Turmhalle and the middle aisle in June 1434. The first storey of the tower and the middle aisle were both higher than originally planned. Kun was mentioned with Hans Felber in 1427 and 1429 as a planner for the Georgskirche, Nördlingen, where he must have substantially influenced the design of parts of the building. He is chiefly significant as the person who carried out Ulrich von Ensingen's design for the tower of Ulm Minster (completed 1885–90 to original design), and the idea of a monumental west tower could also have influenced the design of the Georgskirche, Nördlingen.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.