Overview

Lady Chapel


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Chapel in a larger church, expressly for venerating the Virgin Mary, often situated to the east of the chancel or choir, as in Westminster Abbey (1503–c.1512) and Hereford Cathedral (c. 1220–40), but in parish or other churches often to the east of one or other chancel-aisle. At Long Melford, Suffolk, the Lady Chapel (1496) is virtually a separate building to the east of the church proper. Even grander is the chapel at Ely Cathedral, Cambs. (c. 1321–53), a huge rectangular Second Pointed building to the north of the choir, mostly free-standing, but entered via the north transept.

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »


Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.