City in Bavaria, on the River Isar. The very broad main street known as the Altstadt has retained a well-preserved late medieval character with its fine 15th- and 16th-century gabled houses with arcades, as well as the imposing church of St Martin, the Rathaus, the Stadtresidenz and the Heilig-Geist-Spitalkirche. A second street, almost parallel with it to the east and known as the Neustadt, leads from the former Jesuit church (1631–41) and college of St Ignatius at the foot of the castle hill, past the former Dominican church (ded. 1286) and monastery of St Blasius and the Ursulinenkirche (1671–9), to the Isar. Still further east is the district known as the ‘Freyung’, while on the west bank of the Isar is the Cistercian convent of Seligenthal (founded 1231).
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.