The abbey near Soligny (Orne) from which the Trappists take their name. Founded in 1122 as a house of the Savigny Order, it joined the Cistercian Order in 1148. From the early 16th cent. it declined until A. J. de Rancé introduced the Strict Observance in 1662, and in 1664 initiated a stricter reform of his own. At the time of the French Revolution about a third of the monks chose exile rather than secularization; in 1815 they returned to rebuild their ruined abbey. La Trappe ranks second after Cîteaux in the Cistercian Order of the Strict Observance.