George Lawson was born in Yorkshire, probably in the tiny village of Langliffe in May 1598. He died in July 1678 and is buried in More church. In 1615 he entered Emmanuel College, Cambridge as a sizar, suggesting that his family was not rich. Emmanuel was a Puritan College though later Lawson was a staunch defender of Archbishop Laud, no friend of the Puritan cause. He was ordained in 1619 and reordained in 1624 and licensed to preach by Archbishop Laud in 1636, in which year he was recorded as entitled to serve stipendierius at Mainstone in Shropshire, by which time Lawson was married and living in the neighbouring hamlet of More, where he was to remain for the rest of his life. He was appointed rector of More in 1637. The appointment was in the gift of Richard More who supported the Parliamentarians in the civil war and Lawson became closely attached to the More family, possibly as tutor to the younger boys. He was probably thereby protected during the Interregnum from the consequences of his earlier support of Laud. In 1649 after the king's execution Lawson accepted the Engagement of 1650 which required obedience and acceptance of the Commonwealth regime and which many clergy refused, thus losing their livelihood.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.