British sculptor, son of the sculptor Richard Arthur Ledward (1857–90). He studied at various art schools in London, including the Royal Academy and the Royal College of Art. In 1913 he was the winner of the first Rome scholarship offered to a sculptor (Jagger was runner-up), but his studies in Italy were interrupted by the First World War, during which he served in the army. After the war (and again after the Second World War) he had several commissions for memorials, including the five bronze figures on the Guards Memorial in St James's Park, London (unveiled 1926). From 1926 to 1929 he was professor of sculpture at the Royal College of Art. At about this time he became interested in direct carving, and in 1934 he founded the organization Sculptured Memorials and Headstones to improve the design and carving of memorials in English churchyards and encourage the use of local stone. Among his later works the best known is the Venus Fountain (unveiled 1953) in Sloane Square, London.
From A Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art in Oxford Reference.