(fl 1510–30). German sculptor. He may have been apprenticed to Tilman Riemenschneider or Hans Witten; his Pietà (Hildesheim, Pelizaeus-Mus.) draws on that of Witten at Goslar. He worked for the older Master of St Epiphanius before becoming the leading wood-carver in Hildesheim, Lower Saxony. In 1518 he made the St Benedict altarpiece for the Benedictines of St Godehard monastery, Hildesheim, from which he is named. Its open-mouthed figures have a vitality related to the revival in religious feeling at the onset of the Reformation. All the pieces attributed to him are in limewood and were polychromed; none is in situ. Most have rough or flat backs and were intended for niches in altarpieces.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.