French architect, possibly of Scots descent, credited with introducing Renaissance Classicism to France. He collaborated with the sculptor/architect Jean Goujon (c. 1510–c.1568) for nearly 20 years. One of their earliest works is the Fontaine des Innocents, Paris (1547–9), wholly rebuilt (1788) and re-worked by Legrand and others. He also collaborated with Jean Bullant at the Hôtel de Ligneris (now Carnavalet— c. 1545–50). Lescot was appointed in 1546 to design part of the Louvre, and he was responsible for the south-western corner of the Square Court there (1546–51, with Goujon), with façades of great refinement, lacking the monumental quality of Italian work, but introducing a delicate ornamental quality that was peculiarly French. However, Goujon may have been responsible for the entire architectural embellishments of the Louvre façades, with Lescot primarily in charge of the planning and disposition of the main elements.
Androuet du Cerceau (1972);Blunt (1982);Colombier (1949);Hautecœur (1943);Jane Turner (1996);van Vynckt (ed.) (1993)
Subjects: Architecture — Renaissance Art.