Hywel David Lewis was born in Llandudno on 21 May 1910 and died in Guildford on 6 April 1992. He was the son of David John (the Presbyterian minister of Waunfawr) and Rebecca Davies Lewis. He studied philosophy at the University College of North Wales, Bangor where he came under the influence of Charles Arthur Campbell, then Professor of Philosophy at Bangor. After graduating BA (with first class honours) 1932 and MA (with distinction) 1933, Lewis went to Oxford University where among his most influential teachers were H.A. Prichard, W.D. Ross and H.H. Price. In 1936 Lewis cut short his postgraduate studies at Oxford to return to a lectureship in Bangor, where in 1947 he succeeded to the chair that Campbell had occupied. In 1955 Lewis was appointed to the Chair of the History and Philosophy of Religion at King's College London, where he remained until his retirement in 1977.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.