This distinctive graphic design partnership, widely recognized for its witty and original contributions to graphic propaganda and advertising in Britain in the 1940s, was formed by two Polish‐born graphic designers, Jan Le Witt (1907–91) and George Him (1900–82). After establishing a partnership in Warsaw in 1933 they emigrated to London in 1937. They worked for a number of British state organizations including the Ministry of Information and the Post Office. Their work was distinctive and widely recognized for the wit and invention evident in their designs for books, posters, and the famous mechanical Guinness Clock in the Battersea Pleasure Gardens at the Festival of Britain of 1951. Although the partnership came to an end in 1954 when Le Witt abandoned graphic design in favour of fine art Him continued to work in the field and was widely known for his amusing advertisements for the drinks manufacturer Schweppes. He was made a Royal Designer for Industry in 1977.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.