Now merely conterminous with Lincolnshire, this was one of the largest medieval sees, founded c.1072. After the reconquest of the Danelaw (10th cent.) the see of Dorchester extended from the Thames to the Humber. In 1072 it was moved to Lincoln. The vast diocese was reduced in size by the creation of the sees of Ely (1109), Peterborough (1541), and Oxford (1542). The cathedral, begun in 1192 by St Hugh, stands magnificently on its hill, a superb example, the epitome perhaps, of 13th‐cent. cathedral‐building.
Subjects: British History.