(1874–1929). Finnish architect, he formed a partnership with Herman Gesellius and Eliel Saarinen. The firm's work was eclectic, drawing on Arts-and-Crafts, medieval, vernacular, and Art Nouveau styles, and was regarded as part of National Romanticism. It includes the Pohjola Insurance Building, Helsinki (1900–1), the Studio and House, Kirkkonummi (1902–3), and the National Museum, Helsinki (1902–5). The partnership was dissolved in 1905, and he established a new one with one of Finland's first female architects, Wivi Lönn (1872–1966), designing the Vanemuinen Theatre, Tartu (1906), and the Estonia Theatre, Tallinn (1912), both in Estonia, and both in a Jugendstil manner. Some of his other works merged Renaissance elements with a subdued Jugendstil, as in the Suomi (1911) and Kaleva (1913) Insurance Companies' buildings in Helsinki. His later work drew on medieval precedents, notably in his restoration of Turku Cathedral (1923–8), and in the churches at Säynätsalo and Valkeala (both 1926 with Bertel Liljeqvist 1885–1954). He also designed housing, mostly in Helsinki.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.