(1799–1865), the son of a Norwich nurseryman, who worked for the Horticultural Society of London (later Royal Horticultural Society) for over 40 years as administrator, botanist, shows organizer, editor, and head of examinations. In addition he was, from 1827, professor of botany at University College London; from 1835 to 1853, professor of botany at the Chelsea Physic Garden; and from 1841, the founder editor of the weekly gardening newspaper the Gardeners' Chronicle. For over twenty years he used its leader columns to attack the growing fashion for formal and historically revivalist gardens, to campaign for the abolition of taxes on glass, to advocate planting by complementary colours, and to promote an Anglicized nomenclature for plants (among his coinages were ‘conifers’ and ‘orchids’ to replace ‘coniferae’ and ‘orchises’). In 1838 he compiled a report on the condition of the royal gardens at Kew, which led to the establishment of the Royal Botanic Gardens. He developed a private garden at Bedford House, Acton, near the Horticultural Society's garden; after his death this garden was turned into the Bedford Park Garden Suburb, whose roads were planned with dogleg bends to retain as many of his trees as possible on site.
From The Oxford Companion to the Garden in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Lifestyle, Home, and Garden.