Welsh episcopal see, 2 miles north of the centre of Cardiff. The diocese used to cover most of SE Wales, but in 1921 the diocese of Monmouth was formed out of it. Its early history is told in the ‘Book of Llandaff’, which is not generally a trustworthy source. When, under the Norman kings, diocesan organization of the Church spread to Wales, the see emerged, with the head of the monastic community as its bishop. In 1107 Bp. Urban recognized the jurisdiction of Canterbury and in 1120 began to build the cathedral. Largely restored in the 19th cent., it was badly damaged by an air raid in 1941; when it was restored in 1957, an impressive figure of ‘Christ in Majesty’ by Sir Jacob Epstein was placed high at the east end of the nave.
Subjects: Christianity — British History.