English architect. He was articled to P. F. Robinson and set up his own office in Hull, Yorks., in 1834. In 1849 he moved to Bradford, Yorks., then a rapidly expanding town, where he formed a partnership with Richard (1834–1904) and William (1828–89) Mawson. As Lockwood & Mawson they designed some of the most distinguished buildings in Bradford, including St George's Hall (1851–2), the impressive Venetian Gothic Wool Exchange (1864–7), and the very fine C13 Continental Gothic Revival Town Hall (1869–73). They also laid out and designed the Mill, Model Town, and Church at Saltaire, near Bradford (1851–76), one of the most important examples of a philanthropic industrial and housing development (company town) in the world for its date, all in an Italianate Classical style. Lockwood trained Cuthbert Brodrick. When the partnership was dissolved in 1874 Lockwood moved to London, where he built the Methodist City Temple, Holborn Viaduct (1873–4), and the Church of St Stephen, Cowbridge Park, East Twickenham, Mddx. (1874).
J. Curl (1990);Dixon & Muthesius (1985);Hitchcock (1954);Physick & Darby (1973)