Archbishop of Dublin 1213–28, justiciar of Ireland 1213–15, 1221–4. A member of the London patrician family of Blund, he was archdeacon of Stafford by 1194. He served King John as administrator, royal justice, and diplomat, travelling to Navarre, Ireland, and Germany before 1208. He supported the king during the interdict and in 1209 was elected bishop of Exeter, but this was declared invalid. He was elected archbishop of Dublin in 1213. Before 1215 he had rebuilt Dublin Castle and went on to rebuild the cathedrals of Christ Church and St Patrick's in Dublin, as well as founding the hospital of St James in the city. He witnessed Magna Carta in 1215 before attending the fourth Lateran Council in Rome. He was papal legate in Ireland from 1217 to 1220. He advocated the creation of a completely English hierarchy for the Irish church, and granted his nephews land and ecclesiastical office in Ireland.
From The Oxford Companion to Irish History in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: European History.