(1669–1748). French artist and architect. He worked on the Zeughaus (Arsenal), Berlin (c. 1698), under de Bodt, travelled in Italy, and settled in Dresden in 1715, rising to become Oberlandbaumeister (Senior State Architect) in 1731. His best work was the formal park at Gross-Sedlitz (1723–6), and part of the Dutch Palace (later Japanisches Palais), Dresden (from 1729 with Pöppelmann). The Blockhaus (Log House—so called because a timber customs-house once stood on the site), Dresden-Neustadt (1728–31), employed his favourite devices of shallow ressaults, lesenes, and horizontal bands: it was completed by Knöffel. His designs in a rather dry French Classical style had some influence in Saxony and Poland, and he proposed schemes for an enormous Saxon Palace in Warsaw (1717—with Pöppelmann) and for Schloss Pillnitz, near Dresden.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.