Overview

Sara Losh

(1776—1853) architect


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1785–1853). English architect. She designed the Church of St Mary, Wreay, Cumb. (consecrated 1842), an extraordinary mixture of French, Italian, and Rhineland Roman-esque. She was also responsible for the mauso-leum of her sister, Katharine, a robustly primitive, severe structure of large blocks of stone, with deliberately rough surfaces, called ‘Druidical’ or even ‘Attic-Cyclopean’ by some observers. They are two of the most original buildings of their time in England.

From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.