(b 1422; d 1492). Flemish bibliophile, patron and diplomat. He was in the service of the Dukes of Burgundy, Philip the Good and Charles the Bold, and became one of the most distinguished and prominent patricians in Bruges. At the Gruuthuse Hof, Bruges (now Bruges, Gruuthusemus.) he assembled a rich collection of art objects and built a private library of c. 200 manuscripts, which could rival that of the Dukes of Burgundy themselves. Shortly after his death this was acquired by Louis XII, King of France; it remains unknown whether he was given the collection or purchased it. Most of the books entered the Bibliothèque Nationale, Paris; 119 Gruuthuse codices are still kept there. In 1831 the contents of the library were studied by Van Praet, and in 1981 Lemaire published a new contribution on the subject, assembling 140 extant manuscripts.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.