The origins of this leading Danish lighting manufacturer lay in wine importing in the last quarter of the 19th century, although the company soon moved into industrial electrical equipment with the development of the electricity generating industry in Denmark in the 1890s. After other shifts of emphasis in the early 1900s the company was renamed Louis Poulsen & Co. in 1911. After the First World War it increasingly focused on electrical goods and, in 1924, employed architect Poul Henningsen to design lighting. These included the PH lamps (1927) which were placed in the international gaze through their adoption at the Deutscher Werkbund's Weissenhof Siedlungen exhibition of Modernist housing in Stuttgart in 1927. By the 1930s the company's products were sold in several European companies. After the Second World War the company manufactured designs by Arne Jacobsen (the Visor desk lamp, 1957), Verner Panton (the Pantella floor lamp, 1970), King‐Miranda Associati (the Borealis lamp, 1996), and others.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.