English architect and pioneer of reinforced-concrete construction. He formed a company to build concrete structures in the style of International Modernism, including Noah's House at Spade Oak Reach, Bourne End, Bucks. (1930), and Hop Field House, St Mary's Platt, Wrotham, Kent (1933—with Amyas Connell and Basil Ward (1902–76). In 1933 he joined Connell and Ward to form Connell, Ward, & Lucas, and brought his expertise to the creation of a whole series of International Modernist houses (e.g. four houses, High and Over Estate, Amersham, Bucks. (1934), the Gunn House, The Ridgeway, Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol (1936), the Tarburn House, Temple Gardens, Moor Park, Herts. (1937–8), Walford House, 66 Frognal, Hampstead, London (1937) and Potcraft, Thomas House, Sutton, Surrey (1938) unparalleled elsewhere in the country. After the 1939–45 war he worked in the Architects' Department of the London County Council, heading a team of young Modernists who designed, among much else, the Le Corbusier-inspired Alton Estate West at Roehampton, London (1951–78), where the slab-blocks are on a very small scale yet superficially modelled on Le Corbusier's Unités d'Habitation.
Kalman (1994);The Times (29 August 1984)