Italian family of architects, master builders, stuccoists and masons, active mainly in Austria. Giovanni Luchese (d Innsbruck, Jan 1581) is known to have worked as a mason in Bohemia from 1539. After 1555 he worked at Villa Hvězda and at the Belvedere summer house (1559) in Prague. He also worked at the castle of Hradčany, probably to plans by Bonifaz Wolmut. In 1564 Luchese was summoned to the Tyrol, where from 1565 he directed the rebuilding of the Innsbruck Hofburg and of Schloss Ambras as court architect to Archduke Ferdinand II. In 1571 he built the Silver Chapel at the Innsbruck Hofkirche. With his son Alberto Luchese (b Pambio; d Melide, after 1600) he built the convent church at Hall, and from 1568 he directed the building of the Jesuit church at Innsbruck. Following Giovanni's death, Alberto was made master of the works at Innsbruck, where he built the ballroom (1582) in the Hofgarten and the armoury (1588) of Schloss Ambras. He was also responsible for other buildings in Günzburg, Oberkirchberg, Bressanone and Pambio.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.