Hans (1890–1954) and Wassili (1889–1972) worked mostly in Berlin where they were born, and were associated with Bruno Taut in the 1920s and 1930s. After the 1914–18 war they shared their theoretical, Expressionist ideas with others through the Gläserne Kette (Glass Chain) circle, and from 1921 to 1954 practised as architects. They designed one of the first Modern Movement housing estates at Dahlem-Berlin (1924), rapidly evolving an architecture of rectangular blocks with bands of horizontal windows that were such a feature of the International Modern style. Their houses at Schorlemerallee, Berlin (1925–8), and three houses in Am Rupenhorn (1928) were constructed with steel frames and large areas of glazing. Some of their ideas were publicized in Zur neuen Wohnform (Towards New Design for Living—1930). Their Berlin Pavilion at the Constructa exhibition, Hanover (1951), was built of steel and glass in the manner of Mies van der Rohe. After the death of Hans, his brother continued in practice, building the Bavarian Social Welfare Administration Centre, Munich (1957), the Plant Physiology and Veterinary Medicine Institute, Free University of Berlin (1962–70), and the Deputies' Assembly Hall, Bremen (1962–9).
B. Fischer (1995);Kliemann (1973);Kulturmann (1958);Nowitzki (1991);Jane Turner (1996)