Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

First mentioned in documents in 956, Lüneburg grew wealthy from salt mining and trading. Capital city of the dukes of Brunswick-Lüneburg, it was also the site of a monastery of St Michael, built by the Billung family.


Subjects: Medieval and Renaissance History (500 to 1500).

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.