(b Schussenried, Upper Swabia, 1473; d ?Bozen [now Bolzano, Italy], 1525). German architect. An official portrait of 1519 (Bolzano, Mus. Civ.) gives his place of birth and his age. He may have been a son of Master Georg Lutz, who is mentioned in 1486 in the service of the Premonstratensian abbey of Schussenried. Hans probably received his early training in Upper Swabia and may have made contact with the Augsburg lodge through working at Ulm Minster. In 1500 a Hans Lutz is listed as a taxpayer without citizen's status in the Augsburg tax records. On 3 February 1501, as foreman of Burkhard Engelberg, he was put in charge of rebuilding the tower of the parish church of St Maria Himmelfahrt (now Bolzano Cathedral), where he was to execute the spire to the design made by Engelberg in 1500. In 1505 Lutz renewed his contract, and until 1517 he is mentioned in the building accounts as the master in charge. His younger brothers Georg (fl 1501–7) and Peter (fl 1507–12) worked under him on the building of the steeple. In 1513/14 he built a pulpit in the church, the decorative forms and tracery details of which are clearly based on Engelberg's work. From 1510 Lutz owned a house and between 1509 and 1520 he was master bricklayer of the Heilig-Geist-Spital in Bozen: he had now attained social respectability. He seems also to have dealt in wine, receiving payment on several occasions in the form of considerable quantities of wine.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.