Romano-British shrine (3rd cent. ad) high on the precipitous west bank of the Severn River, 8 miles NE of Chepstow, Gloucestershire; the most important native dedication of such a place of worship to be found in all of Britain. Though no physical depictions of him survive, the shrine has long been thought to have centred on the cult of Nodons, a British healing god often compared with the Irish Nuadu Airgetlám. Situated in the Forest of Dean, the shrine is a large complex, much like classical sanctuaries of healing, with a long portico like a cloister divided into compartments to accommodate patients. Luxurious details in construction, such as the mosaic floors, testify to the wealth of the society that constructed and maintained the shrine. R. E. M. and T. V. Wheeler, Report on the Excavations … in Lydney Park, Gloucestershire (London, 1932).