Scots Arts-and-Crafts architect. He established a London practice in 1886 with Richard Coad (1825–1900), following a short stay in E. W. Godwin's office. After a new wing for Stirling High School, Scotland (1887–8), MacLaren designed several farm-buildings and cottages at Fortingall, Perthshire (1889–90—including the tenant-farmer's house), and Aberfeldy Town Hall, in all of which the Scottish vernacular roots of the designs were clear, and provided precedents for Mackintosh's domestic work. He designed some original houses, including 10–12 Palace Court, Bayswater, London (1889–90), and Heatherwood, Crawley Down, Sussex (1890–1). W. N. Dunn and Robert Watson (1865–1916) continued the practice as Dunn & Watson, later taking W. Curtis Green into partnership (1900).
Calder (2003);Dixon & Muthesius (1985);Service (1977);Service (ed.) (1975)