French dealers, collectors, patrons, and publishers, husband and wife. They married in 1928 and in 1937 opened the Galerie Arte in Cannes. At the end of the Second World War they moved to Paris, where they opened the Galerie Maeght in 1945 with an exhibition of Matisse's work. The gallery promoted the work of a wide range of artists, including Braque, Giacometti, Kandinsky, Léger, and Miró; it moved with the times, showing Francis Bacon in 1966, for example. Branches of the gallery opened in Zurich in 1970 and Barcelona in 1974. From the time they settled in Paris, the Maeghts also became active as publishers, producing illustrated books by the artists they represented (Aimé Maeght had trained as a lithographer) and monographs devoted to them. The death of their son Bernard in 1953 prompted them to create a lasting memorial, and they did this by turning their home at St-Paul-de-Vence, near Nice, into the Fondation Maeght—in addition to exhibition halls and a sculpture park, it includes ceramic and print studios, a cinema, a concert hall, a bookshop and a reference library. The buildings (1962–3) were designed by the Spanish-born American architect José Luis Sert (1902–83), who worked in close collaboration with artists, particularly his friend Miró, who executed ceramics and mosaics. Other artists involved in this way included Braque, who designed a fountain and stained glass, and Chagall, who designed mosaics. The Fondation Maeght has major works by most of the leading artists for whom the Maeghts acted as dealers, and with its beautiful setting is regarded as one of the world's most attractive museums of modern art.