Influential Egyptian journal (the name means “the lighthouse”) founded and published by Muhammad Abduh and Muhammad Rashid Rida in the early twentieth century. Hasan al-Banna took over the journal from 1939 to 1941. Published monthly between 1903 and 1935. Concentrated on Quranic exegesis and theological explication. Objectives were to articulate and disseminate ideas of reform and preserve the unity of the Muslim nation. Served as a voice for the Salafi movement, which promoted a return to the fundamental texts of Islam: the Quran and Sunnah. Sought to present reformist ideas in Quranic terms and reinterpret the Quran and Sunnah on their own, without the use of medieval texts.