British farmer, businessman, and archaeologist best known for his work on Roman roads. After a period of war service with the Royal Sussex Regiment he went up to Exeter College, Oxford, graduating in 1921 with a degree in chemistry. His life was spent in Sussex, farming first at Chartham Park and later at Yew Lodge, East Grinstead. Alongside farming he pursued an interest in archaeology, especially in documenting and mapping the road network of Roman Britain. This was published in a two‐volume corpus, Roman roads in Britain (1955, London: John Baker), which was an immediate success and went through two successive editions during his life. Margary was a wealthy and shrewd farmer and businessman who applied his resources generously and widely during his lifetime, including helping with the acquisition of Avebury for the National Trust; funding rebuilding works at Exeter College; and establishing the Margary Room in the Barbidan House Museum in Lewes and the camerone in the British School at Rome.
The Times, 27 February 1976