Stone cross on a tall upright, indicating ‘market-peace’, found in North-West Europe since C12, set up where markets were held as a reminder of fair-dealing and an exhortation to probity. A good partly Romanesque example survives in Trier, Germany. Some ‘crosses’ became buildings (e.g. the octagonal market-cross, Chichester, Sussex (1501), with a central pier and external arcade articulated with buttresses, and hexagonal C15 ‘Poultry’ Cross, Salisbury, Wilts.).