(1800–89). Beginning his career as head gardener at Bretton Hall, Yorkshire, in 1833 Marnock won a competition to design the Sheffield Botanic Gardens, of which he then became curator. In 1840 he won the competition to design the Royal Botanic Society's gardens in Regent's Park, and similarly became curator there in 1841. From 1836 to 1842 he edited the Floricultural Magazine, and the United Gardeners' and Land Stewards' Journal from 1845 to 1847. After his retirement in 1869, he returned to garden design. Among his later commissions were Weston Park, Sheffield; Alexandra Park, Hastings; Rousdon, Devon; and Warwick Castle. By that time he had collected a group of acolytes, one of whom, William Robinson, who worked under him at Regent's Park, founded a magazine, The Garden, in 1871, which lauded Marnock as the greatest landscape gardener of the day, and as the saviour of English gardening from the formality of the High Victorian years. In his last years Marnock helped Robinson in the design of his garden at Gravetye Manor, Sussex. Parts of the Royal Botanic Society's gardens survive in the Inner Circle of Regent's Park, including Marnock's lake and rockwork.
From The Oxford Companion to the Garden in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Lifestyle, Home, and Garden.