(Hohendodeleben nr. Magdeburg, 1761–1831, Wörlitz, Anhalt) studied at Halle University and afterwards taught at the Philanthropinum (1781–4), the school founded by J. B. Basedow at Dessau. He became a tutor and travelled in Germany, meeting Klopstock, J. H. Voß, and M. Claudius. Duke Friedrich of Württemberg became his patron, granting him in 1809 a patent of nobility and appointing him theatre director in 1811, and librarian as well in 1812. Matthisson retired in 1828. He published his first collection of poems in 1781 as Lieder, changing the title for a further edition in 1787 to Gedichte.
From The Oxford Companion to German Literature in Oxford Reference.