(1883–1974). English architect of simplified Gothic churches influenced by developments in Scandinavia, he is best known for Guildford Cathedral, Surrey (1932–66). Other works include Kelling Hall, Norfolk (1912–14), an Arts-and-Crafts house with flint walls, St Bede's Church, Clapham, London (1922–3), St Saviour's Church, Acton, London (1924—which had reminiscences of Tengbom's Högalid Church, Stockholm (1917–23), much admired by Maufe), Yaffle Hill, Broadstone, Dorset (a house of 1929), the Playhouse Theatre, Oxford (1937–8), and Chapel Court and North Court, St John's College, Cambridge (1937–9). He rebuilt Gray's Inn and the Middle Temple, London, in a Neo-Georgian style after the 1939–45 war. With John McGeagh (1901–85) he designed the Sir William Whitla Hall, The Queen's University of Belfast (designed 1937, built 1938–49). From 1943 to 1969 he was involved with the Imperial (later Commonwealth) War Graves Commission, and designed many memorials (e.g. the Royal Air Force Memorial, Coopers Hill, Runnymede, Surrey (1949–51)).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.